An Irish family stew is a great traditional Irish dish perfect for the whole family.
It is actually very easy to cook an Irish family stew, they are simple yet flavorful dish.
Cooks in 120 minutes and makes 6 servings
What you will need for an Irish family stew:
Flameproof casserole pot
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 kg lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-litre beef or lamb stock
- 900g potatoes peeled and cut into 1cm slices
- Good knob of butter
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Slices of white bread, to serve
- Over a high heat Place a large, flameproof casserole pot
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown the lamb pieces in two batches
- Remove and set aside on a plate
- Reduce the heat to medium–high
- Add another tablespoon of oil and fry the onion, celery and carrot for 4–6 minutes or until the onions have softened
- Preheat the oven to 160°C /325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Return the meat to the pot, along with the bay leaf and stock
- Season with sea salt and ground black pepper
- Bring to the boil
- Remove from the heat and push the slices of potato down into and across the top of the stew
- Dot with a little butter
- Give a final seasoning of sea salt and ground black pepper
- Cover and place in the oven to cook for about 1½ hours or until the meat is tender
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes until the potatoes have coloured
You can serve the stew straight away or leave it covered overnight in the fridge for the flavours to develop.
Serve in deep bowls with slices of white bread to soak up the liquid.
For more amazing Irish recipes visit our recipe section 🙂